Saturday, March 4, 2017

He doesnt do that!

   I wanna address something that I have heard before not specifically about my child, but about people with Down Syndrome in general. While I can't speak for everyone with Down Syndrome I can speak about Connor. So here goes...


      Connor does not Suffer from Down Syndrome. I know people who say people suffer from Down Syndrome most often just mean they have Down Syndrome, but we should be careful with our wording.

Connor is wild! He laughs, He plays, He gets mad and his biggest thing recently is to talk back ( were working on this;/ ) ( I know what your thinking he is pretty much nonverbal right now so how does he talk back, trust me he does. He yells, he gestures, I promise he back talks.) He cries, some days alot mostly when he is told no or gets in trouble. He loves music and to dance. He loves stairs, although he will pretend to be too tired to walk up them, and then if you dont want him to go up them he will go up and down them a million times without getting tired. What I can assure you he doesnt do is suffer.

He loves books and cards. He likes to color. He loves tablets/Ipads. He loves other kids, especially babies.

He has a contagious smile and brings joy to any room he is in.  He loves to eat and will let you know he is hungry by signing eat or more or when he is home by going into the pantry and bringing out what he wants. Although the other night he brought me a can of peas which i can assure you he did not want and sometimes he signs eat/more when he is bored and you know he isnt actually hungry.

He can say mama, dada, hi, bye,  nite nite, mickey mouse, and batman. However  its just babbling that he loves to do most. He loves to be sung to and knows many hand motions to songs. His favorites are "Wheels on the Bus", " This little light of mine", "Deep and Wide"," The itsy bitsy spider", " Head shoulders Knees and Toes", and the prayer song we sing before meals and at bedtime.

He loves Church and gets very excited when we arrive each sunday. He loves school, and is getting better about being friendly with those he is familiar with. However He definitely has a mind of his own and may want nothing to do with you one minute and reach for you the next,

He hits his milestones in his time and his way, and were cool with that. We push him to be his best and yet we love him right where he is. He does alot and yet there is still plenty he cannot do yet. And still I wanna shout from the mountain tops, he doesnt suffer.

He gets sick alot, and we have to take extra precautions, but still I wouldnt say he suffers. So When I hear someone say " So and So suffers from Down Syndrome" I cringe a little. Because again I cant speak for everyone, but I can say Connor does not suffer from Down Syndrome.

He has Down Syndrome. He also has ten fingers and ten toes. A big appetite, and sometimes a attitude. He is stubborn and sweet. He is caring and  yet sometimes forgets to share.  He is a social butterfly and sometimes he is content being by himself. He loves hugs and kisses, however there are times he doesnt want  to be touched  and is not afraid to let you know it.  He has a big heart and can be sensitive.


He is content, unless sick or sleepy. He loves toys, and to go places. Although he is super content to be home and at the end of the day he wants his bed and is all about his routine. He goes with the flow and does well with changes, but they do throw him off since he likes structure and things the same.

He knows his family, even if he wont say your name. He understands much more than he can verbalize. He can follow simple commands, although again he is stubborn and has a mind of his own for sure.

For the most part I bet this has sounded like I have described a child you know, aside from Down Syndrome, and guess what your absolutely right, Because were more alike than different. So Connor does alot of things, but He doesnt suffer from Down Syndrome. Its who he is, just like his heart beating. He is so much more than Down Syndrome and yet thats a part of him just like his dark eyes and black hair. Its a beautiful part just like him. Its simple and yet sometimes complicated. Down Syndrome and suffering do not belong in the same sentence in my opinion.

Connor does alot of things, but he doesnt suffer from Down Syndrome.






No comments: