As a first time parent I often forget that my child is any different. I don't always see the challenges as clearly as others may from the outside looking in. Today my mom told me that her tax lady ask about us and our adoption (she remembered from last year) of course mom was happy to share that our little guy is home at last!!! She also shared that He has Down Syndrome as well as many other special things about our little sweetie. At that point the lady stopped what she was doing and said wow it takes a very special person to raise a child with special needs. I shrugged it off as always. I said something about it not being a big deal and how I sometimes forget he is different, my mom said it is a big deal.
As I pondered this hours later I realized she is right. Connor is incredible and I wouldn't change one single thing about him, I wouldnt take that third copy of his 21st chromosome away for anything in this world. I love those almond shaped eyes and that pink tongue that spends most of its time peaking out. I love that the future is unknown and we get to walk through this together as a family and simply take each day as it comes. I love how everyone is intrigued and drawn to him and how he fills everyone he meets with such joy. I love him and everything that comes with him. Sometimes I don't realize that it comes with a little extra, sometimes its tough, there are struggles. That thearpy and IEP meetings are everyday language to us now. We forget that we are traveling a road less walked, that not only have we adopted a child, but we chose a child a little different, we chose a alternate road willingly.
So thank you to those who say it's takes a special person. Thank you for the flattering compliment. I truly appreciate that others see what I don't always see, the struggle, the tough times, the hard and think that I have it all together, think that I'm doing a good job. However let me say that I didn't adopt Connor because Im a special person, however CONNOR HAS MADE ME A SPECIAL PERSON. He has made this tiny spark in me become a blazing fire. He has made me more considerate, compassionate, and understanding. I am far more confident, caring, and approachable. He has made me who I have always been meant to be, without my son, without that extra chromosome I don't know if I would have ever reach my full potential. I am a stronger woman, I am a better wife, I am a more caring daughter, and I am a kinder friend all because I am his mother.
Saturday, March 26, 2016
All because I am his mother
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment