Sunday, November 27, 2016

Connors Hospital Stay

Ok where to start on what has happened the last few days!!! It has been a complete whirlwind and I wanna update here on all of it. So to start off im gonna post my facebook updates and then add in some details from there.

November 25
This has been by far the worse day of my life. I am so glad I trusted my gut. Mamas always always always trust your instincts. When Connor arrived at the ER today he was labeled as being in respiratory distress. I just had a gut feeling I should take him to the dr again. We were transferred by ambulance to Children's. I am so thankful I trusted my instincts. Connor has pneumonia and we all really need your prayers.

November 26
This cannot be happening. I kept thinking as I watched my little man being strapped to a gurney and loaded onto the back of a ambulance. I was petrified, devastated,and nervous along with what felt like 400 million other emotions. We had just spent 4 hours in the ER where I had to watch and even help hold Connor down for blood to be drawn and IVs to be given. He cried and fought like I have never seen him before and I must say for a child who was extremely dehydrated he still put up a very strong fight. Although it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do I felt so much relief in knowing that now he was getting help after watching him be practically lifeless for almost a week. It all started with a high temp and what we thought was a cold along with a ear infection and strep on Monday. We took Connor to his pediatrician on Tuesday and he was given antibiotics for a ear infection and we were told to buy over the counter cough medicine to help with cough symptoms but told the cough was viral so not much else we could do. I thought he would be so much better by the next morning because most antibiotics work fast. I had no idea that he wouldn't get better and things were about to get so much worse. On Wednesday Connor hadn't drank (besides what little I could get in him with a spoon) since Monday. He had eaten next to nothing and just cried and cried. I remember Holding him on the couch right before time for me to leave for work while we both sobbed and me telling Jeremy I cannot leave him like this, but I had to because we needed the money. I prayed and prayed and kept believing the antibiotics would kick in. They wouldn't. On Thursday our first Thanksgiving together I tried to stay upbeat but I was mentally and physically exhausted. We tried to celebrate with family and Connor tried to smile and played a little but you could tell he was not himself. I remember wishing so badly that his pediatrician would be open the next day (they were closed for the holiday) because I didn't want him to be sick all weekend. Friday morning came and He did not cry. I was so relieved and wanted to believe so badly that he was better. I went to work and checked on him often. He was the same wouldn't eat or drink and just laid around. That's when all of a sudden I had this feeling like something is very wrong and he needs help. I called the oncall doctor and when i explained to her his symptoms she immediately said when is the last time he peed. When I had to think and struggle to remember she said he needs to be taken to the ER immediately. Within 30 minutes we were at Sweetwater hospital. He had a iv and chest X-ray within another 30 minutes and the chest X-ray revealed the news I didn't wanna hear........ it was pneumonia. The next hour was a whirlwind as I was told we would be sent to Children's Hosptial by ambulance.
I walked into children's behind the gurney that held my precious baby holding tight to his fire truck feetie pajamas. We must have looked exhausted and sad because we got so many bless your heart looks. We were taken to a ER room where we spent close to three hours before receiving our actual room. During that time Connor began to change. He had been pumped full of antibiotics, steroids, and fluids and peed several time and out of no where it's like he came back to life. He giggled, he smiled, he even signed eat and chowed down on some cheese it's.
we were finally moved to a room and Connor fell asleep. Once asleep his oxygen level kept going down and they would come into the room set him up in the bed more and of course he would wake up and cry. Then fall asleep again only for alarms to go off and repeat repeat. So finally they put oxygen on him and you wanna talk about mad. He finally fell back asleep only then his oxygen kept dropping even with oxygen on. So they brought in suction and cleaned out his nose. I have never seen a child arch his back or come off the bed so high. After I finally calmed him down he went back to sleep. His vitals are being checked every two hours, but we were so exhausted we slept through it each time. Connor slept well and we are anxious for him to wake up so we can see how he is doing today. Since his oxygen levels did drop so much we are not looking to go home today. We are hanging in there and believing that all things happen for a reason even when it's so hard to understand. I now understand why they say In crisis mothers develop super human strength. I have never known it to be more true than these last few days I have been able to do things and get through things wirhout many break downs because sometimes the only choice you have is to be strong when they can't. Thank you for the calls, text, and most importantly your prayers. The Master has heard our cries , please keep lifting Connor up to Him.



November 26
*Update* Figured out Connor had a blockage in his nasal passage. Basically he could only breathe out his mouth and wouldn't eat bc he couldn't breathe and eat. (Then he got too weak and dehydrated to eat.). So they took tiny tubes and went down both nostrils and sucked all mucus out. And believe me it was unreal nurse said she had never saw so much from one patient. His color instantly was better and he was able to take oxygen mask off. His oxygen level has been dropping all day (especially when sleeping.) We are hoping the blockage was a lot of the cause. He ate some cheese puffs and drank two sips of water! This is huge since he hasn't ate or drank since Wednesday. According to doctor it's just gonna take time and we are not expected to go home anytime soon. Diagnosis is pneumonia and a unknown virus on top of it. We believe God is the ultimate healer and our trust is in Him


I have never seen Connor so upset and it was so heartbreaking. Each procedure even if it was as simple as blood pressure ( They checked his vitals every two hours.) he flipped out. Screaming, crying, fighting it was horrible. Connor was so scared and just didnt understand what was happening. Even though he was extremely dehydrated when he arrived he put up a BIG fight. One nurse came in to do his nose drops and suction his nose ( they suctioned his nose every 4 hours.) Not no blue bulb sucked Im talking a machine that sounds like it was sucking his brains out. It took at least 4 people to hold him down for this. When the nurse came in one evening to do this she said i probably need to bring in reinforcement I have heard about how strong this guy is. It was probably one of the worse feeling to see him scream and fight them. To see those eyes look at me and him fight to get to me and knowing it was for his good, but knowing there was no way to make him understand that. It was heart wrenching. 

I have no idea how but I remained strong thoughout our stay at East Tennessee Childrens Hospital in Knoxville. I even helped hold Connor down alot. Its just something that had to be done and I am thankful I dug deep and found a way to deliver the brave Mama he needed during that time. 

I could never say enough about East Tennessee Childrens Hospital and how they took such good care of my baby and our family. Whether answering our million questions or offering us food or drinks we were always given excellent care. I am so thankful we were sent there and owe them everything for helping my little guy. 

Connor was released on sunday November 27 and He was so confused on what was happening that he sobbed and tried to climb back in bed himself.
Once we pried him out of the room and made it to the car. Connor realized he was leaving He yelled, clapped, and blew kisses the whole way home.  Once home Connor relaxed and I saw my happy go lucky boy again. 

We are so thankful for all the prayers, text, facebook post. and phone calls of support and well wishes. We could never thank everyone enough for the ways they lifted our spirits during this tough time in our lives. 
Connor isnt out of the woods quite yet, but he is well on his way. We cannot wait until all sickness is gone from his body and life can resume as normal once again.

I always tell others what I want more than anything is for Connor to grow up to be kind. Tonight God showed me that If I continue to raise him to love Jesus and to show compassion for others that I will see a kind, loving guy in the future. 

Tonight after arriving home I watched Connor dance and play in the living room and I couldnt be tough any longer. I let the tears start as he played oblivious to my sobs. When out of no where I was given a kiss on the cheek and in that moment I knew that I am raising a kind man already. Full of compassion and care. 
But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears.   Psalm 18:6

No comments: