My Papaw passed away June 1, 2025 at 91 years old.
I wont share many details out of respect for my family, but I will say this. Mamaw said he fell and in those first moments continued trying to pull himself up to get to his feet, but he just couldnt.
This is typical. He told me a few weeks ago if I can get ahold of a chair or something I can pull myself up enough to get on my feet. He'd done this numerous times the last few years.
Another family member arrived a few minutes later and he was laying in the floor with his hands folded under his head laying there peacefully. His strength was gone so he rested. And you know who was with Him in the floor His Savior. He didnt leave him. He was right there. What we could see with our eyes was papaw in the floor exhausted and out of options. But really He was resting at His Saviors feet.
Now what transpired next I'll leave out to respect my family, but I tell you those two things because God spoke to me about it today while I was driving.
My papaw had many friends. He loved to talk and would talk to anyone. This is a catastrophic loss not only for us, but for his church, and honestly even his community. Aside from some years he lived in Illinois He remained right there in that community. Practically everyone knew him, and Im obviously bias and likely wouldnt "hear" but I dont know anyone who didnt like him. He clearly had flaws as we all do, but He was a good man and lived a good life. I can take him being my papaw out of the equation and see that.
So how do we cope? How do we heal? How do we possibly move forward? I was thinking these same things today as I drove.
And I asked God why. Why in the last 7 years every two years have I lost 4 people that shaped and molded me into who I am today. People who loved the Lord, people who served Him. When I try to think about it logically I should be bitter, but Im not. Because my heart knows all 4 are with Him. They are at peace, but how do we find peace? How do we keep going?
God used my Papaws final hours to show me.
We keep trying to get up. We keep trying to get onto our feet. And when we can't. When we feel we have run out of strength. When we feel we've done all we can and are left defeated and exhausted. We just rest in the floor. We stop putting our energy into getting up and we lay peacefully at our Saviors feet.
Our hearts are heavy. My family is broken. We are exhausted and defeated. So continue to pray we would learn in these moments to rest at His feet, until He gives us the strength to pull ourselves up again may we have peace in knowing were not in the floor alone.

No comments:
Post a Comment