Tuesday, May 2, 2017

My promise

With May being National Foster Care  month I have thought a lot about Connors foster mother              ( Connor was in foster care the first 5 months of his life before being moved to the orphanage.). We had the privilege of meeting her while in Hong Kong when She attended Connors farewell party. Not only did she attend, but when asked if anyone had anything they would like to say to us or Connor she stepped forward. It didn't matter to her that she needed a interpreter. I'll never forget her words.  "I prayed for this day for so long. The day that "Tim Tim" would have a family. " I don't remember much else due to my sobs masking out the interpreters voice ( thankfully we have it on video.)  You see we prayed for so long for a family and when God answered our prayers and sent us our precious Connor we were beyond thrilled for OUR answered prayer it wasn't until I heard my sons foster mothers words that I realized in their eyes "WE" were the answered prayer.  It's a overwhelming feeling to know that this child that they loved and looked after  for three years whom they  were deeply and completely attached to and yet they still prayed that his family would come. Something that they knew would bring them deep pain and hurt and yet they loved him enough to pray for it anyway.
  I remember the day we left with Connor. I watched the grieving start and I felt my heart break and even felt guilty. I watched as workers sobbed . Some doubled over as they wept loudly. I watched them get one last hug, kiss, and wave. I watched some of them come back two or three times to touch him once more. I remember the last person I hugged that day. Someone who was one of the closest to my guy, and when I wrapped my arms around her sobbing body I whispered in her ear and made a promise.  As she heard those words she clung tighter to me and I knew she was clinging and trusting in my promise so she could let this baby go.  I know she already believed those words after meeting us, but somehow in that moment I felt she need to hear them out loud and so I whispered through my own tears . 
"I'm gonna take really good care of him."   

No comments: