I have been quiet after the CBS news report about Iceland eradicating Down syndrome through abortion. Not because I havent had plenty to say but because I really dont wanna lash out and speak without thought behind it. First off let me say I'm not linking the story here as I normally do, because to be honest I dont want it on my post. I dont want to see it again, I dont want to give it the time of day, ( and yet here I am writing about it I know.) If you dont know trust me you can google it and will find all you want to know correct and incorrect im sure. What I will say in Icelands defense is I know not everyone there feels that way. I saw a post in a Down Syndrome parent group im in a few days ago and lets be honest folks were lashing out because our kids mean everything to us whether they have a extra chromosome or not and emotions will always run wild when you feel someone is questioning your childs worth to be living. Anyway someone from Iceland commented! You can imagine how difficult it must be when its your home getting all the hate when you have a child with Down Syndrome ( I assume thats why they were in the group.) She simply stated please keep in mind that everyone in Iceland doesnt feel this way. WOW! That got my mind reeling because they were right. How many things does the USA do that I dont agree with, or TN. Too many to count. So please keep that in mind when speaking about this enraging situation. Its not everyone in Iceland. We shouldnt be mad at then as a whole although thats the easiest thing to do because we need to place all that anger and blame somewhere and we have no way of knowing who is for and who is against it.
Another thing to keep in mind is our very own USAs numbers are not far behind them. This is sickening, this breaks my heart. I have so many raging emotions about it all, But instead of giving those who think this way my rage and mean words like I want to do so badly. Ill just tell you about Connor and why he is worthy of life!!
To begin let me say that if you dont know me personally my son is adopted. We brought Connor home from Hong Kong in January 2016. Now I know what your thinking wow she chose this life. Wow she picked him because she wanted a child with Down syndrome.
The answer is No. We did not choose to parent a child with Down syndrome. About 8 months into our adoption journey we were sent info about a child waiting to be adopted. We had already filled out paperwork saying we were not open to Down syndrome. So you can imagine our surprise when we opened a childs file who has Down syndrome. Our case worker got a file of a little boy who had just had his file shared with our agency. So she sent it to us before it was sent out to other agencies. He was adorable and I studied his almond shaped eyes and protruding tongue carefully, and although he was a absolute doll I didnt feel he was our child. I knew he was gonna make a family very happy, but we werent that family. Thats the thing with adoption. You cant run off emotion. You need to step back and think and evaluate. This boy was incredible I had no doubt, but I just wasnt sure he was meant to be my child. However we let our case worker know we would pray about it. Our Case worker immediately replied by saying theres another little boy. He has been waiting a very long time and no one has stepped forward to pursue adopting him, would you like to see his file. At this point we were still thinking why were not open to Down syndrome, however we both said what would it hurt so we said yes send the file. Whats the worst that can happen. We will have another little face in mind to specifically pray for. We opened the file minutes later. I cannot explain to you the awe when we opened the file to see those familiar eyes looking back at us. We had saw this boy before on the waiting list. We had ohhed and ahhed over his pictures. I even remember one day saying oh Jeremy look they put up a new picture of Thaddeus!! We had been praying for him. We wanted him to find his family, but never once had we considered we were his family. Why??? Because he has Down syndrome. However something changed the day I saw his face when I opened his file. I know it makes no sense because I had saw his picture countless times before, but that day I felt like I was looking at my son. You obviously know how the story turned out since as I said earlier Connor Thaddeus came home in January 2016.
The point im trying to make is just as if we had been pregnant and got the testing done and it came back positive for DS we were scared. We didnt wanna picture a life with a child who is as the world would say " different." We were filled with the how can this be. He cant be ours. But guess what we saw a picture and we saw love. We saw a person. We saw a life worthy of living, and I promise even if your looking down at a sonogram of your child and just been told they more than likely have DS, your looking at a life thats worthy of living. Even though its scary, even though it wont always be a easy road. You'll find love, joy, and peace in those almond shaped eye. Your probably already thought my life will never be the same and your right! Because your life will be better. Youll probably begin to worry what they'll be able to learn and how hard it may be to teach them new things, but let me assure you they will teach you so much about life. I know its scary, but youll look back and realize Down syndrome is not scary at all. You'll look back and feel guilty that you didnt choose this life in the first place. Thats what I want people in Iceland to know. Thats what I want people everywhere to know.
Having a child with Down syndrome is the best thing that ever happen to me. Connor has taught me some of the most valuable lessons in life. He has made me grow into a far better person than I was before. He has changed the way I see the world. He has taught me more about love, joy, and patience than I learned on my own in the 26 years before I had him in my life.
Thats my message to Iceland. Thats my message to those around the world. Those with Down syndrome have so much to offer, they have so much to teach us and Thats why I dont want a world without Down syndrome.
Another thing to keep in mind is our very own USAs numbers are not far behind them. This is sickening, this breaks my heart. I have so many raging emotions about it all, But instead of giving those who think this way my rage and mean words like I want to do so badly. Ill just tell you about Connor and why he is worthy of life!!
To begin let me say that if you dont know me personally my son is adopted. We brought Connor home from Hong Kong in January 2016. Now I know what your thinking wow she chose this life. Wow she picked him because she wanted a child with Down syndrome.
The answer is No. We did not choose to parent a child with Down syndrome. About 8 months into our adoption journey we were sent info about a child waiting to be adopted. We had already filled out paperwork saying we were not open to Down syndrome. So you can imagine our surprise when we opened a childs file who has Down syndrome. Our case worker got a file of a little boy who had just had his file shared with our agency. So she sent it to us before it was sent out to other agencies. He was adorable and I studied his almond shaped eyes and protruding tongue carefully, and although he was a absolute doll I didnt feel he was our child. I knew he was gonna make a family very happy, but we werent that family. Thats the thing with adoption. You cant run off emotion. You need to step back and think and evaluate. This boy was incredible I had no doubt, but I just wasnt sure he was meant to be my child. However we let our case worker know we would pray about it. Our Case worker immediately replied by saying theres another little boy. He has been waiting a very long time and no one has stepped forward to pursue adopting him, would you like to see his file. At this point we were still thinking why were not open to Down syndrome, however we both said what would it hurt so we said yes send the file. Whats the worst that can happen. We will have another little face in mind to specifically pray for. We opened the file minutes later. I cannot explain to you the awe when we opened the file to see those familiar eyes looking back at us. We had saw this boy before on the waiting list. We had ohhed and ahhed over his pictures. I even remember one day saying oh Jeremy look they put up a new picture of Thaddeus!! We had been praying for him. We wanted him to find his family, but never once had we considered we were his family. Why??? Because he has Down syndrome. However something changed the day I saw his face when I opened his file. I know it makes no sense because I had saw his picture countless times before, but that day I felt like I was looking at my son. You obviously know how the story turned out since as I said earlier Connor Thaddeus came home in January 2016.
The point im trying to make is just as if we had been pregnant and got the testing done and it came back positive for DS we were scared. We didnt wanna picture a life with a child who is as the world would say " different." We were filled with the how can this be. He cant be ours. But guess what we saw a picture and we saw love. We saw a person. We saw a life worthy of living, and I promise even if your looking down at a sonogram of your child and just been told they more than likely have DS, your looking at a life thats worthy of living. Even though its scary, even though it wont always be a easy road. You'll find love, joy, and peace in those almond shaped eye. Your probably already thought my life will never be the same and your right! Because your life will be better. Youll probably begin to worry what they'll be able to learn and how hard it may be to teach them new things, but let me assure you they will teach you so much about life. I know its scary, but youll look back and realize Down syndrome is not scary at all. You'll look back and feel guilty that you didnt choose this life in the first place. Thats what I want people in Iceland to know. Thats what I want people everywhere to know.
Having a child with Down syndrome is the best thing that ever happen to me. Connor has taught me some of the most valuable lessons in life. He has made me grow into a far better person than I was before. He has changed the way I see the world. He has taught me more about love, joy, and patience than I learned on my own in the 26 years before I had him in my life.
Thats my message to Iceland. Thats my message to those around the world. Those with Down syndrome have so much to offer, they have so much to teach us and Thats why I dont want a world without Down syndrome.


No comments:
Post a Comment