Sunday, May 15, 2016

A story of Gods grace

There I sat locked in the hotel bathroom sobbing. I text, emailed, twitted, and facebooked begging for prayers. I knew this could happen, I had read all the books about attachment. I knew that often a child attaches to one parent and rejects the other, but you never think it will be you. Connor would cry if I held him, wouldn't touch anything I did, if I even heated his food and gave to Jeremy to feed him he wouldn't touch it. I was crushed. I was deflated. I was broken. I collected myself, wiped the tears away and tried to survive. Meanwhile though half a world away my family and friends had begun to call upon the Master on my behalf. Connor woke from a nap and I scooped him up out of the crib I rocked and swayed in front of our hotel window overlooking Hong Kong I sang. I just held him and prayed with every breath and somehow in that moment things changed. I can pretend that he just accepted me so quickly from Pure luck, but I know that's not the case. A sense if peace fell over him that came so quickly only a mighty God could have sent it. From that moment on he accepted my love. Something changed in that moment because of the power of prayer and a Gods great grace.
Four months later and people can hardly believe it when I tell our story. They cannot fathom after seeing us together that He once didn't accept me, but that's such a important part of our story. It doesn't start out as a pretty part, but out of the ashes came beauty.  Its a story of the power of prayer and a God who never forsakes us. A God who finishes the work he starts. A God who is all Mighty, all powerful and yet still answers the prayers of a ordinary person like me.
Taken at the airport when we brought Connor home.

No comments: