Wednesday, May 18, 2016

When people stare.....

   Since Connor is my first child I often forget that he is different. I dont always recognize that some of our struggles are not things all parents are dealing with. I love who he is dont get me wrong. I embrace his Down Syndrome whole heartedly because I dont want my little guy to be any different because I assure you he is so completely perfect, third chromosome and all.

   Sometimes you are smacked in the face with reminders, like when people stare. Often I think its because he is so stinking cute ( I can prove that in two more months when I can FINALLY share photos). However I am not oblivious and know that some stares are because they see those tiny almond shaped eyes and that little tongue protruding, and its ok. I dont mind that you stare because you look at my son and see Down syndrome.  But let me tell you he is so much more. He is smart, and playful. And although at three years old he doesnt talk and is just learning to chew and eat solid food I assure you he can be loud and eat like a horse. He is clever and witty. He is so joyful and yet is every other emotion you can think of. He can be a big teddy bear and yet be just a bear, a super grumpy bear :0.  He is heavy and yet only weighs a whopping 24 pounds.  So when people stare I dont worry. Whether its because he is cute or because he has a extra 21st chromosome it doesnt matter. Im not the least insecure because this tiny angel is exactly what our family needed.

I never knew we could laugh so hard, or be so content. I never knew that those tiny victories would be so rewarding because they were huge mountains that we climbed together. I never knew that the unknown of the future could be so exciting. Who will he be?? What will he be like?? All typical questions for new moms yet with more unknowns for us. Thats ok because those unknowns make life exciting, and oh our life is now so exciting.

So when people stare although its not always the case, ok its probably never the case, but I tell myself its because they can see how incredible he is. They want to know him, because his laughter and joy are contagious.  They are curious at how we knew that He was the one. How we chose this alternate path, were we afraid? Did we worry? Do we still worry?  Do we struggle? Is life hard?

The answer is YES YES and YES. Of course we were afraid. First time parents to a child we barely knew. Yes we worried. Were we doing things right. We will always worry. Did I love him enough today? Am I a good parent? We will always struggle because were human beings. We all have struggles and life is hard for all of us from time to time.  However we have been given the incredible gift of raising a child that the world may stare at. We have been given the task of raising a child that wont hit all the milestones at typical times. We have the wonderful opportunity to educate and show the world that Down syndrome is not scary. To shout from the rooftops that we wouldnt change a thing. To tell everyone that our guy is absolutely perfect although not by everyones standards. To express that sometimes life throws you a curveball. Sometimes you wake up on a journey you never ever expected, but you love your alternate route.

Thats why it doesnt bother me when people stare. They are staring at a answered prayer. They are staring at a perfect blessing. They are staring at my son and thats ok cause he is so so stare worthy. So keep watching. Watch us beat the odds, watch us hit those milestones at our own pace. Watch us struggle. Watch us hurt. Watch us experience the utter joy and bliss we have more and more each day. Watch our bright future unfold. Watch us because we dont mind. We welcome you along.


No comments: