Last year I took Connor to the mall and stood in line to do the whole Santa thing. I'm still not really sure why, but I just thought I was suppose to. Its what moms do right?/ Every year you have your childs picture made with Santa whether they like it or not.
Its true that when we brought Connor home I had no idea what I was doing. No one can tell you how to be a mom, sure you can read the books and listen to others experiences and oh yes ALL the advice you will be given. And yet still it cant really prepare you. But whats amazing, what kicks right in. Those instincts. Oh those Mama bear instincts. Its like boom there they are. My opinion is thats exactly how God wired us. He purposely made us to just know what to do. Sure there will be plenty of times you feel like you have no earthly idea what your doing. But ya know the common sense things, the how to literally keep them alive day to day those come natural. My point is sometimes though we let trends get in the way of those instincts, and thats exactly what I did last year when I dropped my beautiful boy into santas lap and even said to santa " we will have to hurry this will probably get ugly". I know that its all in fun. I know that its not hurting anyone. I know that we will treasure the picture forever, he may even look back and laugh about it one day. However its one of my biggest regrets as a mother. That moment where I went with the trend cause thats just " what you do" and I did something that I went in knowingly would upset my son. Who does that???
So what have I done differently this year......
This year we didnt do Santa. No waiting in line at the mall. No making the guy in red a big deal at all. Theres no trace of him in our house and Jeremy and I did not take him anywhere he was, Obviously he saw him at school and a couple other places, and we are in no way trying to wipe Santa off the map. We just wont push him because Connor gets upset and is definitely not a fan and thats ok. Its ok if that changes and its ok if it doesnt, But what I will not do is go with the trend.
Maybe one day he will like Santa and maybe he never will. Maybe it will never be a big part of Christmas for him and maybe he will be obsessed with him in a few years. We are letting him lead the way and are not making the jolly fellow a part of our Christmas traditions anymore.
I do want to say that this is totally our thing. We are in no way knocking anyone for making Santa huge at there house. Cause its fun for the kids, and its such fun memories you will all always look back on forever. And honestly thats something i have come to love about parenting is seeing all the different styles and techniques . Cause seriously yall we dont have to all be doing things the same to be on the same team ( the we love our kids and are doing our best team). After all we are all raising completely different kids, what works for one wont work for another. Lets all support and be there for each other. No more feeling like you have to go with the trends unless you want to. Trust those instincts and dont let anyone tell you your doing it wrong ( unless you are harming your child, in which case you are indeed doing it wrong).
And this my friends is why we didnt do Santa this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment