Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I wanna teach my son

   Yesterday I had a coworker make a very racist comment to me about my child specifically. Her statement started out " Don't take me wrong i'm not racist" It all went down hill from there as she said you know your baby will look like this as she made a gesture with her hands. I did not get mad. I did not get upset. I just turned away and headed back to my work, when she said hey and made another awful comment. I seriously did not get upset however I want people to understand the depth of this problem. Had I went to her and said things of the same nature about her child I have no doubt that she would have fought me right there. So why is it ok? Why do people have the nerve to say awful things to others? What happen to treating others the way we want to be treated?  Somewhere in life respect went away. There are so many fights and arguments because people do not realize its ok to keep your opinions to yourself.
       I want to teach my son that there is so much more to life than skin color. We all have a purpose and if we are busy kicking each other while were down we are not fulfilling that purpose. I want him to know the importance of helping those in need. I want Him to know that there is a time to stand up for yourself, but there is also a time to let things go. I let her comments go yesterday, not because they were ok and not because they didnt affect me, but because it was ignorance. No I am not calling her a name, I simply mean she is uneducated about the subject. We need to keep others feelings in mind however before we speak. We need to be kind and respectful I want my son to know that.
    I want to teach him that we are all different, we should rejoice in those differences and our individualiities not put each other down for them. I want him to know that love doesnt know race. Love doesnt care. I want him to understand that there are mean people in the world but he can't let those people define him.
  I want him to know that I cried out for a baby and God heard my  prayers. I want him to know that we love him for him. We do not wish that he is different. We love him for everything he is. 
       So when you say mean and hurtful things I want you to realize your talking about my baby. I do not talk negatively about your baby so why do you talk negatively about mine??

No comments: