Thursday, October 12, 2017

To Include or not to Include thats the big question....

    So In the world of special need parents there is no bigger topic than inclusion. Its everywhere I look, and oh the opinions are endless. I'm certain its one of the biggest fights in the IEP world. Obviously I havent been doing this motherhood thing long  and I'm learning as I go, but I already have ideas and opinions about everything. So here are my thoughts on Inclusion.

I think its amazing!! I think its wonderful. I think our children belong with their peers, typical included. However (and Im sure I'm gonna get alot of flack for this) I'm not 100% sure I want Connor fully included. I know what your thinking, your probably about to flip out on me but please hear me out first.

  Dont i want the best for my child??  The answer is YES! I want the absolute best for my guy!!! I want him to get the best education possible. I want him to have friends. I want him to be liked. But above all else when it comes to school   I WANT HIM TO LEARN.

   What if the absolute best way for him to learn is not in a classroom with his typical peers. What if he would benefit in other ways. I know what statistics say, but all children are different and I want the right fit for him.

My biggest worry is him falling  further behind. My biggest fear is fighting for something that in the end he didnt benefit from. I want him to be where he learns best and maybe thats being fully included and maybe its not.

Kindergarten is right around the corner next year it will be time for those tough decisions, and Ive already been given plenty of advise from family and friends. But I want whats best for my guy no matter if thats what others think is best or not.

So there you have it, my answer. Its not a clear answer at all. Is inclusion a beautiful thing?? Absolutely,  However the thing I want most for Connor is for him to learn. I want him to grow. I want him to flourish, If that means he isnt in a class with his typical peers im ok with that.

So lots of big decisions are around the horizon and I wanna make the right choices for him. I want to be the best advocator, I want to be the best mom. I want to make sure he has the best chance at a good education and I want him to reach his full potential. What works for him, may not be what worked for your child. It may not be what you thinks best. But please trust that we will seek all options and please believe that we make all decisions with his best entrust at heart.

So inclusion or no inclusion we will just have to wait and see, but regardless of which path we choose I know there are big things ahead for my child. I know his future is so bright and he is gonna do great.

No comments: