Recently I read some comments on a post by a page called I love Adoption//Adoption.com The original post was about the plummet of international adoptions. The comments on the post were in my opinion atrocious!
" There are PLENTY of children here that need a family to love them and give them a permanent home."
" Why is it so wrong to put American kids in homes first??"
" There are thousands of kids in foster care here. They need homes too.And should be our priority."
" We need to take care of our own. Why go overseas??"
These are only a few and each made my stomach turn as I begged myself to stop reading and yet I couldnt look away.
When I read these words my heart crumbles because in these peoples eyes when they see my family, they assume I dont care about the children without homes in the US. They see my son and instead of seeing a life saved, and one less orphan, they see the child who could have had a home if we had only made a different choice, they look at my family in bewilderment and cannot fathom why we have turned our back on the children in our country.
Heres what I have to say. They all matter! We care about all children without a home. Because we chose to grow our family through international adoption does not mean that we are against domestic adoption. it doesnt mean were against foster care adoption. We believe ALL children are important. We have a heart for Adoption period, all shapes and forms. But when your judging me for a choice my husband and I made, I wanna ask you one thing. What about my son?? Doesnt he matter??
No mom or dad. No family to call his own. Isnt he worthy of a family?? Isnt he important??
Why is it that when others make a choice that we could never see ourselves making it automatically means they are wrong??
While I do not know any of the people personally that made these comments I do wonder what have they done to help the world crisis?? What have they done for children in the US without a home, they seem very passionate about pointing out that my families choice was wrong and yet I wonder have they done anything, besides blame me for depriving a child in our country without a home, by adopting my son from overseas. This way of thinking is absurd, and yet it is far from uncommon. To be honest I have heard it from those in my own family. I have been questioned by those very dear to me. Thats ok, thats life, it doesnt make it right, it doesnt make me happy, but everyones entitled to their opinion whats not ok is to assume that because I chose international I am against domestic or foster care adoption. I see and love many who formed their families many different ways. I dont wish they had chose the same way as me, I dont see their choice as a international child without a home. I see their children as blessings bottom line. So why cant they see mine that way??
Connor was on the waiting list of children needing a home for 2 years. To say that I should have chose a child from the US is to say that he should still be waiting. Its saying that he should be important to someone else but not to me.
Adoption is beautiful. Adoption is magical. Adoption comes in many forms. To say one way is right and one way is wrong is completely irrational.
When God placed adoption on our hearts. We prayed and prayed. The more we prayed and drew closer to Him the more he began to reveal his plan. He directed us to international adoption. He directed us to Hong Kong and then He directed us to this beautiful face.
And He showed us that he was important. He told us that he was our son. He paved the road ahead and brought us to this child.
The song No longer Slaves says it best
"You split the sea
So I could walk right through it
You drowned my fears in perfect love"
God went every step of our adoption with us. So many road blocks and red tape filled the way and yet he split the sea so we could walk right through and although we were scared to death our fears were drowned by perfect love when our eyes looked into the most beautiful brown eyes.
Never once did I wish God had called us to adopt domestically. Never once did I wish my son was from the US. Just like I know those who have adopted domestically or through foster care have never wished their child was from overseas. Our journeys in life are all different, but who are we to say one way is right and one way is wrong.
My wish is that others could look at my family and say Wow God is faithful period. I dont want applause. I want the glory, honor, and praise to go to God because that is where it belongs. I want my family to be a testament of Gods goodness and mercy.
To say we should have made a different choice is to discredit God and his plan, and there is nothing more unfathomable than that to me. This is my answer to all those who question how and why would we grow our family by bringing in a child from outside of the US. Gods ways are always higher and His plans are always good and my family was His plan and you could never make me believe any different, your opinion is irrelevant the end. :)
" There are PLENTY of children here that need a family to love them and give them a permanent home."
" Why is it so wrong to put American kids in homes first??"
" There are thousands of kids in foster care here. They need homes too.And should be our priority."
" We need to take care of our own. Why go overseas??"
These are only a few and each made my stomach turn as I begged myself to stop reading and yet I couldnt look away.
When I read these words my heart crumbles because in these peoples eyes when they see my family, they assume I dont care about the children without homes in the US. They see my son and instead of seeing a life saved, and one less orphan, they see the child who could have had a home if we had only made a different choice, they look at my family in bewilderment and cannot fathom why we have turned our back on the children in our country.
Heres what I have to say. They all matter! We care about all children without a home. Because we chose to grow our family through international adoption does not mean that we are against domestic adoption. it doesnt mean were against foster care adoption. We believe ALL children are important. We have a heart for Adoption period, all shapes and forms. But when your judging me for a choice my husband and I made, I wanna ask you one thing. What about my son?? Doesnt he matter??
No mom or dad. No family to call his own. Isnt he worthy of a family?? Isnt he important??
Why is it that when others make a choice that we could never see ourselves making it automatically means they are wrong??
While I do not know any of the people personally that made these comments I do wonder what have they done to help the world crisis?? What have they done for children in the US without a home, they seem very passionate about pointing out that my families choice was wrong and yet I wonder have they done anything, besides blame me for depriving a child in our country without a home, by adopting my son from overseas. This way of thinking is absurd, and yet it is far from uncommon. To be honest I have heard it from those in my own family. I have been questioned by those very dear to me. Thats ok, thats life, it doesnt make it right, it doesnt make me happy, but everyones entitled to their opinion whats not ok is to assume that because I chose international I am against domestic or foster care adoption. I see and love many who formed their families many different ways. I dont wish they had chose the same way as me, I dont see their choice as a international child without a home. I see their children as blessings bottom line. So why cant they see mine that way??
Connor was on the waiting list of children needing a home for 2 years. To say that I should have chose a child from the US is to say that he should still be waiting. Its saying that he should be important to someone else but not to me.
Adoption is beautiful. Adoption is magical. Adoption comes in many forms. To say one way is right and one way is wrong is completely irrational.
When God placed adoption on our hearts. We prayed and prayed. The more we prayed and drew closer to Him the more he began to reveal his plan. He directed us to international adoption. He directed us to Hong Kong and then He directed us to this beautiful face.
And He showed us that he was important. He told us that he was our son. He paved the road ahead and brought us to this child.
The song No longer Slaves says it best
"You split the sea
So I could walk right through it
You drowned my fears in perfect love"
God went every step of our adoption with us. So many road blocks and red tape filled the way and yet he split the sea so we could walk right through and although we were scared to death our fears were drowned by perfect love when our eyes looked into the most beautiful brown eyes.
Never once did I wish God had called us to adopt domestically. Never once did I wish my son was from the US. Just like I know those who have adopted domestically or through foster care have never wished their child was from overseas. Our journeys in life are all different, but who are we to say one way is right and one way is wrong.
My wish is that others could look at my family and say Wow God is faithful period. I dont want applause. I want the glory, honor, and praise to go to God because that is where it belongs. I want my family to be a testament of Gods goodness and mercy.
To say we should have made a different choice is to discredit God and his plan, and there is nothing more unfathomable than that to me. This is my answer to all those who question how and why would we grow our family by bringing in a child from outside of the US. Gods ways are always higher and His plans are always good and my family was His plan and you could never make me believe any different, your opinion is irrelevant the end. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment