Yesterday my world spiraled out of control for a couple hours. Its an odd feeling to out of no where see events unfolding in front of you and yet it seems your just there. Your standing in the room, but your mind, your thoughts they are a hundred miles ahead. They are on millions of what ifs and how you need to prepare for whats to come. Thats what happened to me yesterday and I rose. I rose to the occasion because its the only choice I had. Because it was just me making so many tough decisions. It all rest on me and in the mist of all the thoughts, all the what ifs, all the fears I rose up.
I arrived home from work like any other day. I was tired and ready to get my dress clothes off, put on pjs, cook dinner, and relax with my family. Only unknown to me none of that was about to happen. I walked into the house and was about to make a B line for the bedroom to get into my pjs when I walked past the living room I glanced in on my way by, first I only saw Connors feet and my mind automatically thought he was asleep since he was laying on the couch ( he had been). Upon my second glance I felt my heart drop I ran across the living room and grabbed his burning hot body off the couch. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed the thermometer. My hands were shaking as I removed it from its plastic case, I glanced at Connor who I had sat on the kitchen table. His entire body shook and his lip quivered and I knew he was chilling. And I knew his temp had to be sky high and I knew, I immediately knew he needed help. I laid the thermometer back down and grabbed my phone. I called his pediatrician and asked for a appointment, and the next thing I knew I was placing him in his carseat and speeding down the road. I drove fast, and I glanced in my rear view alot and each time I did I felt my foot push the gas a little harder. His face was a purplish red and although he tried to cry all that came out was a whimper as he struggled for each breath. And as I drove I wondered why. I had called Jeremy only two hours earlier to check on him. He had had a runny nose and runny eyes the day before and I worry. He was up playing, only two hours earlier. Why, What had changed so quickly. Why, why does this incredibly joyful child have to endure so much pain and difficulty. I continued to drive with so many thoughts filling my mind.
We arrived. I signed in. It had been a year since we updated paperwork, So I sat beside my child while he struggled to whimper and filled out paperwork. It seems so crazy to me now, but at the time I just felt relieved that we would have answers soon. We were called back and Connor was weighed, and then his temp was taken. He is always a champ for these two things, but not today, today he spiraled out of control, his outward appearance was how I felt on the inside. We were then rushed to a room, but not before I made sure to get a peak at the thermometer. My heart sank, and yet I already obviously knew but something about seeing 103 seemed to make time standstill. It was not just a cold, my instincts were correct something is definitely not right.
We went into a room, I quickly explained his symptoms. And the nurse rushed out to get medicine for the fever. Within seconds the doctor appeared, a new doctor. I was fine seeing the new doctor, but my first thoughts were no, not today. I wanted someone who knew this sweet boy, who knew that he never cries, someone who could take one glance and know that this was not Connor. Almost immediately after she entered the room Connor vomited. In that moment something changed and I knew, I knew we were about to go to the hospital. I knew that he was vomiting because he was so hot and although I was surrounded by medical staff and I knew he was in good hands, it was the first time I let myself be afraid. The doctor questioned me about what he has eaten, it was red and I didnt catch on at the time, but I now know that she probably was afraid it might be bloody. I remember my voice sounding shaky and panicked as I answered I dont know hes been at school. I hated it. I hate ever not having answers when comes to my son, even if its something as simple as what did he eat today. They then put the oxygen reader on him and that when everyone in the room began to seem panicked to me. I was told we were gonna be sent to the hospital and that she was not comfortable with me driving him because his oxygen level was so low. The next thing I knew two EMTs came in the room, the doctor asked if she could call anyone for me and I said Ill call them on the way. Meanwhile I am spiraling, my thoughts raced and fear soared through me. I remember the doctor saying what about your car, and thats when I let the tears fall. I sobbed as I said im not worried about the car. I ugly face cried right there as I grabbed my son and my purse. I remember the doctor appologizing for upsetting me and me telling her it was ok, that I was ok. I climbed on the gurney and held Connor on my lap, they buckled us in and down the hallway we went, we passed a window and I could see our reflection, my breath caught in my throat and I thought why is this happening. Thirty minutes ago I was leaving work and my only thoughts were I cant wait to put on my pjs and what should i cook for dinner.. As We went out on the sidewalk it was raining so they covered us with a blanket so we wouldnt get wet, you get it they were rolling a gurney and we were covered with a white sheet! I remember having a good laugh about this, obviously this is not even funny but we were nervous so we laughed. We arrived at Athens hosptial and were taken to a room. Connor was hooked up to an IV and given fluids.
Bloodwork was taken and sent to the lab and a chest xray was taken. I kept thinking please let it be strep, or a ear infection, or anything but pneumonia. Chest xrays came back, hello pneumonia. Connor was given antibotics and steroids through his Iv. He was given a breathing treatment and tylenol since his temp was still 101. There was mention of a catheter, which made me want to have another breakdown. Luckily they didnt end up putting one in. After around 4 hours EMTS were loading us up again and off to Childrens hospital we went. The steriods, antibotics, and fluids had made a change in Connor he smiled and yelled bye bye the entire ambulance ride. And even though I knew we had a long rode ahead I was happy to see a glimpse of my happy boy again.
We rode through the storm it poured rain and the wind blew us around. We arrived and began the questions we had been asked all day all over again. Connor was given another breathing treatment and hooked up to a oxygen reader. His oxygen was much better. The doctors believe it was due to the breathing treatments, but also because he was no longer in distress. Another chest xray was taken. Connor has scaring in his right lung so his flims can be tricky to read so the doctor at childrens wanted his own to look at. Connor ate some cherrios and watched toy story 3. But what he didnt do was sleep. The let us know that although he was holding his oxygen at a normal level they wanted to monitor him while he slept. Finally at 2am he fell asleep.
Connor oxygen was monitored until 3am, it did drop but only to a low normal. We were then discharged. And it seemed the nightmare may finally be over.
Connor still has a road of recovery ahead, but with breathing treatments and antibotics they believe he will be on the mend very soon. We are overwhelmed by the messages, well wishes, and prayers that have went up for our sweet boy. His a wonderful feeling to know your baby is cherished and loved by so many people. Please continue to pray for healing, recovery, and brave faces as we put this scary day behind us.
I arrived home from work like any other day. I was tired and ready to get my dress clothes off, put on pjs, cook dinner, and relax with my family. Only unknown to me none of that was about to happen. I walked into the house and was about to make a B line for the bedroom to get into my pjs when I walked past the living room I glanced in on my way by, first I only saw Connors feet and my mind automatically thought he was asleep since he was laying on the couch ( he had been). Upon my second glance I felt my heart drop I ran across the living room and grabbed his burning hot body off the couch. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed the thermometer. My hands were shaking as I removed it from its plastic case, I glanced at Connor who I had sat on the kitchen table. His entire body shook and his lip quivered and I knew he was chilling. And I knew his temp had to be sky high and I knew, I immediately knew he needed help. I laid the thermometer back down and grabbed my phone. I called his pediatrician and asked for a appointment, and the next thing I knew I was placing him in his carseat and speeding down the road. I drove fast, and I glanced in my rear view alot and each time I did I felt my foot push the gas a little harder. His face was a purplish red and although he tried to cry all that came out was a whimper as he struggled for each breath. And as I drove I wondered why. I had called Jeremy only two hours earlier to check on him. He had had a runny nose and runny eyes the day before and I worry. He was up playing, only two hours earlier. Why, What had changed so quickly. Why, why does this incredibly joyful child have to endure so much pain and difficulty. I continued to drive with so many thoughts filling my mind.
We arrived. I signed in. It had been a year since we updated paperwork, So I sat beside my child while he struggled to whimper and filled out paperwork. It seems so crazy to me now, but at the time I just felt relieved that we would have answers soon. We were called back and Connor was weighed, and then his temp was taken. He is always a champ for these two things, but not today, today he spiraled out of control, his outward appearance was how I felt on the inside. We were then rushed to a room, but not before I made sure to get a peak at the thermometer. My heart sank, and yet I already obviously knew but something about seeing 103 seemed to make time standstill. It was not just a cold, my instincts were correct something is definitely not right.
We went into a room, I quickly explained his symptoms. And the nurse rushed out to get medicine for the fever. Within seconds the doctor appeared, a new doctor. I was fine seeing the new doctor, but my first thoughts were no, not today. I wanted someone who knew this sweet boy, who knew that he never cries, someone who could take one glance and know that this was not Connor. Almost immediately after she entered the room Connor vomited. In that moment something changed and I knew, I knew we were about to go to the hospital. I knew that he was vomiting because he was so hot and although I was surrounded by medical staff and I knew he was in good hands, it was the first time I let myself be afraid. The doctor questioned me about what he has eaten, it was red and I didnt catch on at the time, but I now know that she probably was afraid it might be bloody. I remember my voice sounding shaky and panicked as I answered I dont know hes been at school. I hated it. I hate ever not having answers when comes to my son, even if its something as simple as what did he eat today. They then put the oxygen reader on him and that when everyone in the room began to seem panicked to me. I was told we were gonna be sent to the hospital and that she was not comfortable with me driving him because his oxygen level was so low. The next thing I knew two EMTs came in the room, the doctor asked if she could call anyone for me and I said Ill call them on the way. Meanwhile I am spiraling, my thoughts raced and fear soared through me. I remember the doctor saying what about your car, and thats when I let the tears fall. I sobbed as I said im not worried about the car. I ugly face cried right there as I grabbed my son and my purse. I remember the doctor appologizing for upsetting me and me telling her it was ok, that I was ok. I climbed on the gurney and held Connor on my lap, they buckled us in and down the hallway we went, we passed a window and I could see our reflection, my breath caught in my throat and I thought why is this happening. Thirty minutes ago I was leaving work and my only thoughts were I cant wait to put on my pjs and what should i cook for dinner.. As We went out on the sidewalk it was raining so they covered us with a blanket so we wouldnt get wet, you get it they were rolling a gurney and we were covered with a white sheet! I remember having a good laugh about this, obviously this is not even funny but we were nervous so we laughed. We arrived at Athens hosptial and were taken to a room. Connor was hooked up to an IV and given fluids.
Bloodwork was taken and sent to the lab and a chest xray was taken. I kept thinking please let it be strep, or a ear infection, or anything but pneumonia. Chest xrays came back, hello pneumonia. Connor was given antibotics and steroids through his Iv. He was given a breathing treatment and tylenol since his temp was still 101. There was mention of a catheter, which made me want to have another breakdown. Luckily they didnt end up putting one in. After around 4 hours EMTS were loading us up again and off to Childrens hospital we went. The steriods, antibotics, and fluids had made a change in Connor he smiled and yelled bye bye the entire ambulance ride. And even though I knew we had a long rode ahead I was happy to see a glimpse of my happy boy again.
We rode through the storm it poured rain and the wind blew us around. We arrived and began the questions we had been asked all day all over again. Connor was given another breathing treatment and hooked up to a oxygen reader. His oxygen was much better. The doctors believe it was due to the breathing treatments, but also because he was no longer in distress. Another chest xray was taken. Connor has scaring in his right lung so his flims can be tricky to read so the doctor at childrens wanted his own to look at. Connor ate some cherrios and watched toy story 3. But what he didnt do was sleep. The let us know that although he was holding his oxygen at a normal level they wanted to monitor him while he slept. Finally at 2am he fell asleep.
Connor oxygen was monitored until 3am, it did drop but only to a low normal. We were then discharged. And it seemed the nightmare may finally be over.
Connor still has a road of recovery ahead, but with breathing treatments and antibotics they believe he will be on the mend very soon. We are overwhelmed by the messages, well wishes, and prayers that have went up for our sweet boy. His a wonderful feeling to know your baby is cherished and loved by so many people. Please continue to pray for healing, recovery, and brave faces as we put this scary day behind us.



No comments:
Post a Comment