Connor went to the ENT a few weeks ago and we found out he needed another set of tubes put in his ears. Been there done that no big deal. We scheduled the surgery for May 9th. Dr Belmont wanted to see him again before to ensure that the fluid on his ears did not drain on its own. We saw Dr Belmont this week and the fluid had drained off the left ear!!!!! However it didnt the right so we still need a tube put in the right ear. Dr Belmont is hopeful since the left has figured out how to drain on its own that the right will too eventually. At our appointment we began talking about how Connor sleeps, does he snore?? Toss and Turn?? Sleep restlessly?? Honestly I spilled my guts. Connor tosses and turns constantly in his sleep. One of the major reasons hes still in a crib and he doesnt nap on the couch. His snoring is constant and while on the way to the ENT while asleep in the car his snoring stopped and he made a odd noise and then silent for a second until snoring started again. At hearing this we were told that he has sleep apnea and what we were hearing was him stopping breathing. The tossing and turning are also signs and he is likely never sleeping long without his body waking him up when he stops breathing. Which is why the kid can sleep for 12/13 hours a night and yet somehow wake up yawning. He is never getting good rest. So Dr Belmont suggested he have his tonsils and adenoids removed. He talked to me about how he felt this would benefit Connor in many ways. I agreed. ( The funny things is I had talked to a friend a few weeks ago about how I honestly cant believe they havent took his tonsils and adenoids out yet because its so common for those with Down Syndrome to have then removed.) Then bam here we were discussing it a few short weeks later. Dr Belmont asked how I felt having everything done at the same time and I said I honestly would rather do that because I am tired of him being put to sleep and would rather not do it more than once if possible. He agreed and I asked if we could keep our date of May 9th. He said yes and explained that Connor would need to stay in the hospital overnight and he would need to have a xray of his spine. During surgery they will lay him on a table and arch his neck up. This will extend his back up in a arch off the table. Because those with Down Syndrome have a increased risk of neck issues it is extremely important to have the spine xray to be sure no underlying problems are present that would worsen due to being in the position on the table during surgery. . Dr Belmont also explained to me worst case scenario ( one of the many things I love about him.) after surgery which would be for him to start bleeding and it not stopping and they would need to go in and operate again to stop the bleeding. This is rare, but it has and does happen. I said I still felt it was time and wanted to proceed with surgery the 9th.
This one will be Connors 5th time being put under anesthesia for a procedure since coming home 28 months ago. I sure wish I could go through some of this stuff for him.
One thing about Connor is he is tough. Surgeries, hospital stays, IVs, oxygen, you name it and hes likely expereinced it and yet he is all smiles when we enter any hospital. He is his relaxed and happy self. I am always nervous and trying to fake it for him, but he is the perfect picture of brave even when mama is barely hanging on. Whose the adult here?? Whose comforting who here?? He is one of the strongest, bravest boys I know.
And so as the days pass by and we get closer and closer I feel myself get more and more nervous. I dread recover, I am terrified of recovery. However I know that Gods got us like he has time and time before, and everything will be ok. Please remember Connor and his medical team on May 9th and please lift up his recovery. Also please pray that he would not catch anything or get sick before then. With Connor its not a question of if, its a question of when. So please pray all illnesses would stay away and surgery could take place like planned. Thank you for your love and support before hand cause I know you guys will be awesome like you always are.
This one will be Connors 5th time being put under anesthesia for a procedure since coming home 28 months ago. I sure wish I could go through some of this stuff for him.
One thing about Connor is he is tough. Surgeries, hospital stays, IVs, oxygen, you name it and hes likely expereinced it and yet he is all smiles when we enter any hospital. He is his relaxed and happy self. I am always nervous and trying to fake it for him, but he is the perfect picture of brave even when mama is barely hanging on. Whose the adult here?? Whose comforting who here?? He is one of the strongest, bravest boys I know.
And so as the days pass by and we get closer and closer I feel myself get more and more nervous. I dread recover, I am terrified of recovery. However I know that Gods got us like he has time and time before, and everything will be ok. Please remember Connor and his medical team on May 9th and please lift up his recovery. Also please pray that he would not catch anything or get sick before then. With Connor its not a question of if, its a question of when. So please pray all illnesses would stay away and surgery could take place like planned. Thank you for your love and support before hand cause I know you guys will be awesome like you always are.
No comments:
Post a Comment