Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The process is not easy. . . .

    I wish I could tell you that adoption was simple. I wish I could persuade others to adopt because  of the easiness of the process. Unfortunately its just not the truth. Adoptions hard. So many twist and turns and unforseen hold ups. So much hard work and effort goes into the process long before you wrap your arms around your child, long before you even lay eyes on your child.  I often sit and wonder how others get through the process without God?? How do folks get through any of lifes trials without Him??
      Adoption is tough no one knows that better than people who have and are going through it. However the love is easy. The love comes so natural. Often even before you see a picture or even know who your child is. It actually makes sense who would work so hard and put so much effort into something if they didnt love. If they didnt have a ultimate goal. They just wouldnt.
    We know that we are adopting from Hong Kong. We know that our child will be somewhere from 6 months to 3 years old. Most everyone knows that we have specified that we would like a son. We know that we will spend 4-6 days in Hong Kong meeting and bringing our son home. We know that we have chosen a name that we love, for now we call him Baby C. We know that He will have developmental delays and possible other moderate to severe special needs. We know the facts.
   We know the emotions the pain of just wanting him here so badly. The exhaustion of knowing we still have tons of paperwork and questions to answer. The ache of knowing we will go through another Christmas without Him. The hurt of know we are more than likely missing another birthday. The pain of this is real.
           We also know the pain of others not understanding our decision. We know the excitement that overflows within us. We know the joy it brings  to share where we are in the process. That does not come without the negative. Those who say mean things whether meaning to or not. Those who look at us in disbelief when we tell about our little one. Those who say we should try longer, or try other options to try to have "our own". Those who suggest we stop trying and it will happen. Those who ask why we wouldnt adoption from the US. Trust me we have heard it all. We try to smile and not let it get to us, but it does.
         He is our own. Baby C is our child. Ok so not biologically, but thats just DNA. Cant you love someone who is not linked to you biologically?? Ok maybe some folks can't, I dont know but I know that we can. I know that we will, I know that we do. Before God created the universe He knew us all. He knew our situations He knew our lives He saw our future. He knew Baby C would be  ours. He knew I would be his mother.
       Its so simple yet others cannot understand. Im not sure of how to explain it, but I know that I cried out for a child and God heard my cries. He didnt answer in my time. He didnt answer the way I might have thought, but He answered. I believe that however motherhood comes its a miracle.
My child is a miracle and He is loved. The process of adoption is not easy, but the love is.

No comments: